Blue Card News Archive
- SEP4Germany looks at easing immigration laws to fill skilled labour gaps
The German cabinet will decide on a proposal to make it easier for skilled workers from outside the EU to move to GermanyAUG 16Over 81,000 persons have been awarded a blue card for Germany
The majority of blue card holders choose to stay in Europe permanently.JUL19Belgium to become more attractive for blue card workers
The Flanders region plans to issue blue card for a minimum term of three years. Permanent residency to be available after four years.JUL 3Compared to one year ago, the unemployment rate fell in all EU countries
The largest decreases were registered in Croatia, Cyprus Greece and Portugal.
Increased opportunities for non-EU professionals.JUN 18Unlocking talent: Validation of non-formal and informal learning
The EU blue card is not only for the highly educated. Skilled professionals are appreciated as well.MAY 25EU Blue Card Network complies with GDPR
Your personal data is secure and confidential.MAY 22Commission evaluation confirms the importance of European Works Councils
The European Commission has published an evaluation of the European Works Council Directive.APR 11Professions listed as most in demand, per EU country
There is a labour shortage in all business sectors, in all EU member states.MAR 13Growing lack of skilled workers in Europe
The Netherlands facing a growing gap between demand and supply of skilled workers. 13% of companies are seriously obstructed in their growth.FEB 28MIGRATION: A ROADMAP
Political agreement between the European Parliament and the Council on the "Blue Card" Directive set for June 2018.FEB 7Germany leads the field when it comes to issuing EU blue cards
One in five blue card issued in Germany go to Indian nationals.JAN25JAN 8Commission launches public consultation on a European Labour Authority and a European Social Security Number
The European Commission has launched a public consultation to gather views of the public.
- DEC 12
- DEC 5EU: The EP LIBE Committee supported the revision of the Blue card
'We need an instrument or at least one way of having a partnership or a sensible way of managing migration for the needs of the EU.'
- NOV 13EU: Euro Economy Is Heading Towards a Golden Period
Economists have raised their growth forecasts eight times this year.
- OCT 24EU: The Blue Card is gaining popularity amongst Turkish professionals
The blue card is available to all non-EU citizens.
- OCT 3DE: Increasing number of Chinese and Indian people have blue cards
106% increase in Indian blue card holders and 62% increase in Chinese BC holders.
- NOV 10ADV: Check your Eligibility for the European Blue Card
Download a free eligibility certificate and expand your employment opportunities in Europe
- SEP 11EU: European Alliance for Apprenticeships - Assessment of progress and planning the future
The EAfA is a part of the EU’s strategy to tackle youth unemployment and to provide the skills that are needed to ensure sustainable growth.
- AUG 30EU: A different way of issuing a blue card.
Feasibility study to offer blue cards based on a lottery system. Not yet operational.
- AUG 16EU: Integrity and privacy of candidate data is built-in by design
Blue Card Network profiles are viewable only by entities that have been given exclusive permission. It is not public.
- JUL 28ES: Spain’s economy has returned to its pre-crisis size
Foreign workers are needed to meet demand from an increasing number of Spanish industries.
- JUL 14DE: Companies increasingly appreciate their human capital
In the global race for talent, the EU Blue Card can play a vital role for Europe.
- JUN 21EU: MEPs back changes to the Blue Card
National schemes for attracting highly-qualified workers to be abolished.
- JUN 19EU: Smart migration expected to swift from United States to Europe
A booming economy and a series of immigration reforms have turned Germany into a magnet for smart immigrants.
- JUN 8EU: June 8th 2012-2017: Celebrating five years of helping people obtain an EU blue card.
Over 120,000 candidates connected to European employers. Over 8,000 applications successfully submitted.
- MAY 11DE: German government releases brochure 'Erfolgreich Arbeiten'
EU Blue Card enables employers to hire the professionals they urgently need.
- APR 26EU: Employment rate of people aged 20 to 64 in the EU reached a new peak
The employment rate stood at 71.1%, higher than the previous peak recorded in 2008 (70.3%).
- APR 12UK: Good prospects for skilled British workers in a post-Brexit EU
Report says Blue Card scheme is on route to become the work permit of choice.
- MAR 23SK: The Slovak economy is approaching full employment
Slovak authorities will extend the validity of the blue card from three to four years.
- MAR 7EU: New US immigration policy set to make EU more attractive for the highly skilled
The US may no longer be the destination of choice as the H-1B system is overhauled.
- FEB 23NL: 31% of knowledge migrants to OECD countries choose the EU
It is the European Commission’s intention to increase this number by making the blue card more attractive.
- JAN 27EU: Proposed blue card directive to promote innovative entrepreneurship
Blue card holders would have the right to start their own company in parallel.
- JAN 10AT: More voices in favour of replacing the Rot-weiß-Kart with the blue card
One single program makes it more inviting for the highly skilled to consider Europe.
- DEC 14SE: Calls for Swedish immigration to simplify procedures
A Syrian doctor’s plea to work in a country desperately in need of his skills.
- NOV 29EU: Commissioner for migration Avramopoulos wants the blue card to be more like the U.S. green card.
The best choice would be a single regulation for highly skilled immigration, not 28 different programs
- NOV 3DE: Already 49,000 blue cards issued in Germany
The positive correlation between the issuance of blue cards and economic growth
- OCT 13
- SEP 29AT: Austrian Rot-Weiß-Rot-Karte to be replaced by the EU Blue Card.
EC proposed changes includes replacement of all national highly-skilled permits by the Blue Card.
- SEP 8NL: Skilled migrants urgently needed in the Netherlands
OESO says 2.4 million highly skilled persons needed by 2025, only 1 million available in current population.
- AUG 31DE: More blue cards are issued to qualified professionals
Professionals are urgently needed in Germany. With the Blue card, its holder receives a permit with perspective.
- AUG 4IT: Italy to make the blue card application procedure more efficient
The Italian employers' (Confindustria) federation signs a memorandum of understanding with the ministry of interior to speed up the required procedures.
- JUL 20BG: Bulgaria supports easing Blue Card issuance
Bulgaria backs the efforts of the European Commission for easing the administrative procedure on the issuance of the Blue Card for highly qualified foreigners.
- JUL 15EU: Blue Card Network launches affiliate program
Key objective of the affiliate program is to raise awareness of the EU Blue Card Program.
- JUN 24EU: The UK leaving the European Union does not affect the Blue Card Program
It is not sure if UK nationals will be able to apply for the EU Blue Card in the future.
- JUN 22EU: Main proposed changes compared to the current EU Blue Card Directive
Faster procedure, lower salary threshold, shorter contract term and more.
- JUN 6NL: The Netherlands needs some 80.000 non-European migrant workers annually
'Not only academics and technical people, but mid-segment migrant workers as well.'
- MAY 23
- APR 13EU: Results of the 2015 blue card stakeholders survey
A Fast-track entry procedure and a uniform scheme are considered most important to improve the scheme's attractiveness.
- MAR 24DE: In the first three quarters of 2015, Germany issued over 11 thousand blue cards.
Most German blue cards went to people from India, Ukraine and Russia.
- MAR 8GR: More leaders speak out on loosening blue card regulations
Mr Kefalogiannis, Greek MP: 'A revision of the blue card should be undertaken so that it applies to lower-skilled migrants as well'.
- FEB 25NL: Start-up permits available for the Netherlands
You can now start your business in the Netherlands with the help of a facilitator.
- FEB 4EU: ALDE coalition proposes the blue card to be available also for non-skilled workers
'We call for an revision of the EU Blue Card making it possible to obtain for both skilled and non-skilled workers based on objective criteria, that if fulfilled allow a Blue Card to be issued.'
- JAN 12GR: Blue cards to be issued for projects in Greek port
Greek government exclusively promotes the issuance of Blue Cards for projects in the port of Piraeus.